In an archived article from the Bangkok Post, I found some scant information that Asiabooks, the biggest English-language book seller, was looking to start a self-publishing service. Their website didn't have too much information, so I found it the old-fashioned way, I contacted them.
Following an email exchange with the Business Development team at Asiabooks, I can confirm that there are opportunities for self-publishing at the Asiabook eBook store. Here are some of the details:
- Asiabooks pays author 50% of sales at the end of every month (in Thai Baht)
- Author responsible for cover, editing, content not plagiarized, etc.
- A formal contract is required that is valid for two years
- Author can set the price of the e-Book for sale on the Asiabooks site (this is very important and great for the Author)
- Pricing policy is similar to Amazon, and the minimum price for a book will be about 30 Thai Baht (~$US1)
- eBooks can be published in PDF or ePub formats (formatting tips for PDF and ePub files can be found in the free Smashwords Style Guide)
- eBooks need an ISBN (you can buy them here)
- Author must provide meta-data and FTP their files per Asiabooks' instructions
- Orapin_T@asiabooks.com (Khun Orapin is Director of Business Development at Asiabooks)
Many thanks to Khun Orapin and the Asiabooks team for sharing this information with me. Now, I have to get to the arduous task of actually writing something that could be sold!